2 pk Active dry yeast
1/4 c Warm water
2 c Buttermilk
5 c All-purpose flour
1/3 c Sugar
1 tb Baking powder
1 ts Baking soda
1 1/4 ts Salt
1 c Shortening
1. Combine yeast and warm water; let stand 5 mins or until bubbly.
2. Add buttermilk & set aside.
3. Combine dry ingredients and cut in shortening.
4. Add buttermilk mixture gradually, gently combining with a fork.
5. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead lightly 4 or 5 times.
6. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness, cut as biscuits and place on greased
cookie sheet, cover and let rise at least 1 hour.
7. Bake at 450 F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
8. * To freeze, bake only 5-6 minutes. Cool, seal in airtight ziplock
bag and freeze.
9. To finish baking, put on lightly greased cookie sheet in 450 F oven
for another 5-6 minutes.