1 1/2 c Water
4 tb Dry sherry; or rice wine
4 ts Soy sauce
1 ts Instant chicken bouillon
4 Whole chicken breasts
1 Egg white
1/2 ts Salt
1 lg Carrot
6 Green onions
3 Stalks celery
8 Fresh mushrooms; sliced
3 c Vegetable oil
1/2 c Blanched whole almonds
(about 3 ozs)
1 ts Grated; fresh ginger root
1. Combine water, 2 tablespoons of the sherry, 1 1/2 tablespoons of
the cornstarch, the soy sauce and bouillon in small saucepan. Cook
and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 5
minutes. Keep warm.
2. Remove skin and bones from chicken. Cut chicken into 1 inch
pieces. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sherry, 1 tablespoon
cornstarch, egg white and salt. Mix in chicken pieces.
3. Pare carrot and dice. Cut onions into 1-inch pieces. Cut celery
diagonally into 1/2-inch slices.
4. Heat oil in wok over high heat until it reaches 375 degrees F.
Add chicken pieces, one at a time, to hot oil (cook only 1/3 of the
pieces at a time). Cook until light brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on
Repeat with remaining chicken.
5. Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from wok. Stir-fry almonds in
the oil until golden, about 2 minutes. Drain.
6. Add carrot and ginger to wok. Stir-fry 1 minute. Add all
remaining vegetables. Stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
Mix in chicken, almonds and sauce. Stir-fry until hot.