2 tb Vegetable shortening
2 tb Flour,all-purpose
2 Onions,finely chopped
1 Green bell pepper,fine chop
5 c Warm chicken broth
1/2 lb Okra,cut into 1/4" pieces
1/2 c Uncooked rice
2 Ribs celery,chopped
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1/4 ts Thyme
1 Bay leaf
1 Broiler-fryer chicken,cooked
1. In large Dutch oven, melt shortening over low heat; add flour and
cook, stirring, until brown, about 10 minutes (do not hurry; if flour
burns, roux is ruined).
2. Add onions and bell pepper; cook until onion is translucent, about
3. Slowly add warm broth; stir until broth reaches a boil.
4. Add tomatoes, okra, rice, celery, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf;
bring to a boil.
5. Add chicken; when mixture boils again, reduce heat to low, cover
and cook about 20 minutes.
6. Stir and cook, covered, 20 minutes longer.