1/4 lb Slab bacon; cut into 1/4"
1 md Onion; coarsely chopped
6 md Carrots; peeled, halved
-lengthwise, cut into 1"
2 ts Chili powder
2 ts Cumin; ground
1 ts Majoram or Oregano; dried
1/4 ts Red-pepper flakes
2 lb Venison shoulder, cut into
1 cn Italian plum tomatoes; 28oz,
1 1/2 c Beef or chicken broth;
1/2 c Red wine
1/4 c Tomato paste
1 cn Dark-red kidney beans; 16oz,
1 c Baby lima beans (defrosted
3 c Cooked rice or barley (opt)
1. Brown the bacon in a skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes
or until golden brown. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set
aside. Reserve 3 tablespoons of bacon fat, discard the rest.
2. Place 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in a casserole; add the
onions and carrots, sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, marjoram and
red-pepper flakes, then cook for 5 minutes. Add the reserved bacon.
3. Pour off the remaining tablespoon of bacon fat back into the
skillet. Brown the venison over medium-high heat in small batches and
remove to the casserole with a slotted spoon. The meat should brown
quickly so raise the heat to high if necessary.
4. Add tomatoes, broth, wine and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer and
cook, uncovered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the
heat if the chili begins to boil.
5. Add the kidney and lima beans, then adjust seasonings. Simmer 10
minutes longer or until meat is tender.
6. Serve the chili hot in 6 bowls (over rice or barley, if desired).
Serves 6. Per serving (without rice): 514 calories, 12g fat, 135mg